At KB, we created our proprietary Whole Nutrition Skincare approach based on the Whole Self Skincare lifestyle because we know that the nutrients your body needs, your skin needs, too. From providing essential energy and vitamins to boosting hydration – a nutritious diet (and skincare routine) can foster the health of your gut microbiome and skin. Registered dietician Nicole Hopsecger dishes: “Your skin is a reflection of your overall health… If you are healthy on the inside, you’ll be healthy on the outside, too — skin and all.”
To help you achieve glowing skin this fall, we’re going to give you some diet-related skincare info to sip on and a delicious detox broth recipe that Kat swears by for nourished, radiant skin.
Whole Self Skincare and the Effects of Food and Drink On Your Skin
All Kat Burki products are created with Whole Self Skincare in mind because we know certain foods and drinks can enrich and fortify not only your body and gut, but your skin, too. And since the skin is your largest organ and a fearless defender, our exclusive Whole Nutrition Skincare approach can replenish it from the inside out and the outside in.
You can look at Whole Nutrition Skincare like this: Your skin – like any other organ in your body – needs specific nutrients to function properly. Similar to how a piece of fruit offers you a range of nutrients that serve your body, all KB products can do the same because they’re developed to mimic the nutritional profiles of good-for-you fruits and/or veggies.
To help you understand Whole Self Skincare, here’s an in-depth look at how your diet (AKA what you eat and drink regularly) impacts your skin:
- Hydration: Staying hydrated is not only good for your body, but it also helps you maintain healthy, glowing skin. Drinking the right amount of water (11.5 cups for women and 15.5 cups for men) keeps your skin moisturized and may balance its water and oil content, resulting in fewer clogged pores and pesky breakouts.
- Antioxidants: Foods rich in antioxidants can protect your skin from damage caused by things like sunlight, pollution, and stress. Antioxidants – such as vitamin C, vitamin E, and beta-carotene – are like shields for your skin and can promote a radiant complexion by encouraging healthy cell growth.
- Fatty Acids: Fatty acids, found in fish and nuts, are the building blocks of your skin’s health; they’re known to shield skin from harm, while also maintaining your lipid barrier, which is vital for retaining moisture. Plus, adding fatty acids to your diet can make your skin flexible and smooth, like a rubber band that can stretch and bounce back with ease.
- Collagen Production: Collagen is a protein that plays an important role in keeping your skin firm, strong, and healthy. Consuming foods rich in collagen-boosting nutrients, such as vitamin C and amino acids, can help support collagen production, which decreases as you age. Broth and citrus fruits are good sources of collagen for a plump, vibrant look.
- Inflammation: Did you know some foods can cause inflammation, which may worsen symptoms tied to conditions like acne and eczema? For example, sugary and high-glycemic foods, as well as dairy products, are known to trigger inflammation, while drinking orange, tomato, pineapple, and carrot juices can help kick it to the curb.
- Gut Health: Here at KB, we know a healthy gut microbiome is linked to healthy skin, which is why we formulate using Whole Nutrition Skincare. Eating and drinking probiotic-rich foods like kombucha, yogurt, kefir, and sauerkraut – for instance – can foster a healthy gut microbiome, allowing it to properly absorb vital nutrients and reduce inflammation.
Kat’s Favorite Detox Broth Recipe Is a Must-Have in the Upcoming Colder Months for Healthy, Glowing Skin
Fall brings us chilly winds, cozy sweaters, and best of all – soup, or in this case – KB’s favorite tasty (and ultra-nutritious) detox broth. While you can buy different sippable broths at your local grocery store, making a homemade broth is not only cheaper and leaves you with delicious leftovers for the next day, but you can also add skin-loving ingredients for a nutrient boost.
Since veggie broths are typically liquid-based and jam-packed with nutrient-dense veggies, herbs, and spices, they’re great at keeping your skin (and gut!) free of toxins and giving you a healthy glow. They’re especially beneficial for your gut microbiome as they usually have a high fiber content and compounds called glutamine, known to deeply nourish the gut lining.
Want a sip? Here’s KB’s favorite detox broth recipe, along with a few reasons why it’s the delicious key to a healthy fall glow:
- 1 gallon filtered water
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 leek, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced in half
- 3 parsnips, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1/2 head green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 3-inch piece of ginger, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- Sea salt to taste
Detox Broth Recipe
Step 1. Thoroughly rinse and prepare all the veggies, ensuring they’re clean and ready to go. It's important to note that you don’t have to peel any of the veggies or aromatics for this broth, although the choice is yours. Should you decide to peel them (such as the ginger, garlic, parsnips, or onion), it’ll result in a broth with a cleaner taste and a more pristine appearance.
Step 2. Combine all the veggies you prepared with the filtered water in a generously sized stock pot. Bring this mixture to a gentle simmer, cover with a lid, and allow it to simmer for 90 minutes.
Step 3. After simmering, strain the broth through a fine mesh strainer, removing the veggies. After, you’re left with KB’s must-have fall detox broth. You can sit back and sip your way to glowing skin, use it as a base for other soups, or store it in your fridge for up to a week.
Practice Whole Self Skincare With These Products for Even More of a Glow
You can look at us as your skin guide; we’re here to help you navigate the ins and outs of healthy eating, while also providing you with ultra-nutritious skincare products. So, to add more to your glow, sip your delicious detox broth and try these best-selling KB products this fall:
- Dual Acid Peel: Have you ever tried our Dual Acid Peel, which is ultra-rejuvenating? This once-a-week mask exfoliates and delivers nutrients to enhance your skin’s healing process. And because it’s formulated with avocado oil, 10% glycolic acid, and 5% botanical hyaluronic acid, it hydrates, nourishes, and boosts collagen production.
- Vitamin C Intensive Face Cream: Our best-selling, award-winning moisturizer is a skincare game-changer. Formulated with 15% encapsulated vitamin C, it quickly absorbs to the deepest layer of your skin for a healthy and radiant complexion. It also contains a fortifying blend of antioxidants and micronutrients for extra protection.
- Silk Protein Primer: Primer? Meet skincare. Smoothing and ultra-hydrating, our Silk Protein Primer offers an immediate glow. It’s formulated with our signature KB5™ Complex to keep your skin soothed and radiant during the cooler months, while other beneficial ingredients – like hyaluronic acid – plump the skin without clogging pores.