How to Nourish the Body & Mind with Health-Supporting Routines
By: Avanti Kumar-Singh, MD
April 25, 2021
One of the most common questions I’m asked, when someone wants to start their Ayurvedic healing journey, is “what do I do first?” and my answer is always to start practicing health-supporting routines.
Routines are the foundation of Ayurveda and the foundation of health. Why? They allow the nervous system to relax. They tell the body and mind what to expect, and this shifts the nervous system from the stress response, to the relaxation response. As a result, the cascade of hormones that prolong inflammation (which is known to be connected to illness and disease) are also down-regulated, as part of a health-supporting regime.
To nourish the body and mind with these routines, try my “3-2-1 formula”. Let’s go through it step by step:
(3) Make sure these 3 activities are at the same time every day: when you wake up, when you eat your meals and when you go to sleep. Ideally, wake up within 30 minutes of sunrise and go to bed by 10pm. Inadequate sleep will quickly sabotage all of your other healthy habits, so prioritize sleep. Also, try to eat your meals at the same time every day. Remember, when your body knows what to expect, it will shift into a state of increased relaxation.
(2) Meditate for just 2 minutes every day. The key here is consistency, not high-achievement. Allow yourself to have a “better- than- nothing” attitude. So, 2 minutes of meditation is better than none. Meditation has been shown, in multiple studies, to literally change the pathways in the brain, making us more creative, more focused and better equipped to deal with the stressors of life.
(1) Get outside in nature at least once every day. Bask in the sun and take a few deep breaths. Even better, go for a walk in a park filled with trees. Trees provide fresh prana, the vital life force energy - from the air, the sun and the earth. This is why we feel so rejuvenated after being outside.
And so to review my “3-2-1 formula” to nourish the body and mind:
(3) Get regular with 3 activities every day - wake time, mealtime and bedtime.
(2) Mediate for 2 minutes every day.
(1) Get outside once every day.
If you’re having a slower start this year and want to add some health-supporting routines to boost your mood, your immunity and your energy, then stay with me to learn my “3-2-1” formula.
Avanti Kumar-Singh, is an Ayurveda Wellness Expert on a mission to show how Ayurveda is a health catalyst to achieve optimal wellness in modern life. She is also the author of The Health Catalyst and The Healing Catalyst Podcast. Discover the health advantage you can both see & feel! Join the Healing Catalyst Collective, a free, exclusive community for people who want to take back their health and replenish their mental, physical, and emotional energy so they can live a vibrant life- filled with more joy, meaning and purpose.